Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ah, to be young, blonde, and........racist?

Hey all. Just wanted to pass this story along. If you haven't heard of it, you're in for a treat. It's awesome.


So last Friday, an unfortunately dim-witted student (Alexandra Wallace) at UCLA posted this rant online:




I'm 100% honest when I say I find this video to be incredibly hilarious. In fact, it's the funniest thing I've seen since I first saw the trailer for Limitless a couple weeks ago. I find it implausible* that a UCLA student lacked the awareness to realize how such opinions were going to be received once they were plastered OVER THE ENTIRE INTERNET. ON THE DAY OF THE TSUNAMI. THE DAY OF THE TSUNAMI! TSUNAMI! LOUD NOISES! What did you think was going to happen, darling? That people were going to be distracted by your large mammaries and not listen to the content of your preaching? (Ok ok, I may or may not be guilty of this. Oh, stop judging me. It was only for a couple seconds.)

You tell em', girlfriend.

As an Asian-American, I guess I should be offended and I'm totally shocked that I don't feel that way at all. I'm very fortunate to have grown up in a environment where race wasn't really an issue. Sure, I've been teased before but it's (usually) all in good fun and I (usually) let such things roll off my back. Seriously, I'm more saddened that a student at a prestigious university was still dumb enough to think broadcasting her horrendously ignorant opinions was a good idea. Everyone's entitled to their opinion--no matter how outrageous--but not everyone should be entitled to a webcam. Words to live by. In the end, it's just not worth the energy for me--and shouldn't be for other Asians--to lash out at the poor girl with anger. She made a (huge) mistake and has since released a statement apologizing. I hope she's sincere. I hear dem' Asian sorority bitches be crazy.



Thinking every time before I hit the 'record' button,

Jeff



 *Yes, even more implausible that Limitless actually got green-lit. Can you tell that this is bothering me? The tagline of the movie is "What if a pill could make you rich and powerful?". Wait, what? Is this a comedy? It's actually about someone taking a pill to make them rich and powerful!?!? And it has that horribly repeated--and scientifically wrong--statement about "how we use only 20% of our brain"? Yeesh. This is lazy filmmaking so refined you could mine it and sell it on jewelry. I need to find out how many hours the marketing department spent on this campaign. I want a video of the meetings held after they realized in horror the studio wasn't pranking them.

Also, Robert de Niro is in Limitless. Is it safe to say this is a low point for his career? I'll reserve judgment until it is confirmed that the Focker "franchise" is dead.

1 comment:

  1. Even better, she's a poli sci major! Translating the books into real world knowledge, I see. Anyways, it doesn't matter if Limitless has an implausible plot. It's got the dude from Hangover and he sells, baby.

    ReplyDelete